DIY: How to Make Ankara Midi/Knuckle Rings

11:11

Another DIY people! Who's excited?

So you remember when Ankara (African Fabric) bracelets were all the rage?

That's were I got my inspiration from. I used to make them back in 2012 (I can hardly believe that was four years ago!) along with other accessories like hair pins and necklaces. Never got round to making shoes and bags though.


 
I decide to make these rings for two reasons

1. It seemed like a really cool idea!

2. I was tired of being unable to wear some of my rings because they were old and rusty.

Cost: Nothing if you already have old rings, glue and ankara fabric.

Time Taken: About five minutes.

 

You will need:
-Ankara (d'uh)

-Glue

-Rings

-Scissors

 

Step 1



Cut a strip of ankara to required length. Mine was about 10 inches long.

 

Step 2





This step is crucial to your ring looking neat. Fold the fabric in such a way that the frayable ends are hidden.

 

Step 3



Wait till the glue dries before you start wrapping.

 

Step 4




And it's a wrap! Yes, pun very much intended :D



And there you have it!

Pro tip: Use normal rings for this DIY. The fabric wrapped around the rings will eventually make the rings knuckle/midi rings.




I have been wearing these rings so much I think it's time to give them a rest.


Here's reasons you should definitely do this DIY

- It'll make a fabulous gift! (Valentine's Day anyone?)

- It'll add pizazz to your outfit what with the way Ankara is seriously in vogue

-Lastly, it'll give your outfit a unique twist. Individual fashion rocks, yes?


YOUR TURN!

How would you/did you repurpose your rings? Leave a link, let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear from you!


P.S: If you try this DIY, I'd love to see your work! Shoot me an email (ijennamirabelosuji@gmail.com) or use the hashtag #miralabelleDIY and tag me (@unservile_fashionist)* on Instagram*.

Enjoyed this DIY? share with all your DIY lovin' friends!
Don't forget to keep up with MLB by subscribing and following on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Google Plus and Bloglovin'.


OTHER DIYs

- Awesome blue ribbon choker in three steps.

- Turn your flared skirt into shorts (culottes)

- Crotched christmas pattern on a t-shirt

- Bohemian Inspired Tassel Pendant



 

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. I like this, looks pretty. I used to do this on my old headbands a long time ago. creative girl

    www.theblackwriter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I also did the headbands but I'm not into headbands so I stopped.

      Delete
  2. Girl your DIY are so amazing, you share the easiest ones ever.
    Itsdivadiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. To think that I throw away my old ring. The DIY looks pretty simple. I think I'll try it.

    Epiphany29.com
    Rocker Chick - Faux Leather Waterfall Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, never crossed my mind. I'm never throwing an old ring away again.

    www.sunlightdreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikr! By the time I came up with this idea, the exact thought crossed my mind!

      Delete
  5. This is brilliant. I need to get some glue and start transforming some of my old bangles and rings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! Here's to upchucking old bangles and rings!

      Delete
  6. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon
    Online African Fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great. Wonderful midiknuckle ring idea. Gonna try this ring DIY tutorial out.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram