EVENT REVIEW: TBC Connect

05:19

I attended TBC connect last week saturday. It was a meet and greet organized by Tuke Morgan, Berry Dakara and Cassie Ikegbune Hence the name TBC. Here's my account of the event, hope you enjoy!


Berry, Cassie and Tuke

I was late and this seemed to be my habit. I sat in the heavy traffic pondering, wondering if I was just wasting my time- I might get there and it would all be over. Then... Somehow, miraculously, the traffic was clearing. A ray of hope shone.

I got lost- of course I got lost (that would be my poor sense of direction I seem to have inherited from my mum). Somehow, miraculously again, I walked down (after taking so many wrong turns) and found the venue- ETHNIC HERITAGE CENTRE. The building was all african and very intriguing. Now, to find the entrance- every thing seemed to be difficult.

I finally found my way in and was led to the right place by someone I immediately recognized as Tuke Morgan (what a lovely smile she has), registered and walked in nervously. Thank God. There were only about 20 people- I prefer small gatherings. I immediately made up my mind that I wasn't going to go home with regrets. Regrets of not participating more, regrets of not "being myself".



The goodies...

People began to introduce themselves and I started to get excited- I haven't spent much time with other bloggers so I have no real-life blogger friends save Seyi of which we were friends before we became bloggers so I don't think that counts. These were real people with real personalities and the reality of it hit me- I am a blogger. I belong to a community. It felt good.

We talked about so many things. From self-esteem issues to balancing it all out. I heard someone elaborately explained the difference between an architect and a builder. Of course, I was late so I missed that part. Not so late that I didn't miss the part where a man said "Oh wow! A female builder". This writer refuses to comment because she realizes that this is not the time for feminist rants.



Group picture. Looking for me? I'm in there. Somewhere.

 

LESSONS LEARNT

Needless to say, I learnt quite a lot. I did after all go there with the mind of learning things. I actually brought a note and jotted down :D

-Blogging is a relationship. If you don't have an audience, you might as well be keeping an online diary (I still don't get the point of private blogs *shrugs*). Build that relationship, care about your readers and reply comments. This last point was met with a lot comments. apparently, people hate it when you don't reply comments. I guess I do too.

-You have to find your greater passion in life. Berry Dakara's husband was present and was filled with inspirational words and a lot of wisdom. There are many people (myself included) who have a lot of passions. So many things we love doing and we can't very well choose one. I learnt that one is to find the greatest one (preferably the one that one excels at) and focus on that one passion. Someone made a very substantial point- what about Dangote? He dabbles into so many things. This is quite true but he started with one then built others on that foundation. Lesson learnt.

-Serve to learn. One doesn't always need to work for money. I have heard this a lot of times, but its a point I think needs to be sounded continuously. Work to learn, serve to be greater. This reminds me of the song "wrapped around your finger" (Any "The Police" fans?) The song talks about an apprentice serving to learn under a master "things they would not teach him up in college". It's a very nice song.

I learnt more lessons but these were the key ones for me.


The following bloggers were also in attendance
Nedoux

Ebony Duchess

Diary Of A Fashion Enthusiast

David Adeleke

Rose Coloured Lens

In Search Of Perfect Hair

Life's Treasury

Ify Halim

Aka Glue

Ok, enough talk- to the pictures!

 
 

Delicious cupcakes by Berry's husband- The Cake Factory. The chocolate ones were epic. I especially love chocolate cake. On a completely unrelated note, my birthday is in December.



Nedoux, Berry, the fashion illustrator (somebody please remind me.. what's her name?) and Uju holding the FI's beautiful handiwork



Ebony Duchess with the Instaboard they created for this meet up. I quite liked the idea.



Give away items! For the first time, I actually won something! (Yes, Seyi, yours doesn't count seeing as you have refused to give my dress :p )

 

Chinelo (Cassie's sister). She pulled the sentimental card. #Respect.



David. He did the SAME thing. *applauds* He was quite shy in his sentiment as you can see.

There was a giveaway section and it was fun! If you wanted one of the gifts, you would stand up and indicate. If more than one person wanted it, they would have to compete by saying why they deserve it. Cassie's sister, Chinelo, was in attendance and won a beautiful pair of green shoes. Kudos to her and David for pulling the sentimental card. They gave touching stories that made them win. I on the other hand, wanted the rings because somehow, as I was leaving my hostel, all my rings had disappeared. I know it was you. Yes, you know yourself. Thankfully, I had no competition and won all the rings. Yay!!


Me wearing my supposedly "vibrant smile" How could I not? New set of rings! *smiles vibrantly :D*

 
 
I had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to more meets and greets! (I dont think that was grammatically correct but we'll let it fly yes?)


You know, I couldn't quite figure out what they were trying to do. Then it hit me- they were trying to form the letters TBC with their fingers. *Tilts head 45 degrees* I don't think it quite worked out.

Picture credits: Tuke Morgan
Special thanks to her for making the post more lively with pictures :)

 

YOUR TURN!


What do you think? Have been to blogger meet up's? How was the experience? Did you like this post? Leave a link, let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear from you.
 

Enjoyed this post? Do me a favour, show you care by sharing :D

Don't forget to keep up with MLB on Instagram, Facebook, Google Plus and Bloglovin', let's connect!
 

SIMILAR POST

 





 

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. The event was a nice initiative. Too bad I couldn't make it. Yes, I totally agree with you that blogging is a relationship. That's why I try to respond to all the comments I get. Makes the readers feel good. Trust me. Ooh this thing called passion, some people have so many is alarming hehehe. Glad y'all had fun. Love your midi rings.

    Epiphany29.com
    Did You Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Exactly! So I have been trying my best to reply every comment :)

      Delete
  2. Aww, thanks alot for coming out again! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

    www.cassiedaves.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was nice meeting a lot of bloggers. too bad, I left early and didn't win anything. sob sob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! About "oh wow! A female builder" in his defence there are actually not that many female builders, I studied building by the way.
    Also why aren't there more pictures of me? Lol.
    Nice post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha I'm sorry. Didn't see pictures of you I think. Or I forgot.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a fun and interesting one + I like how you reviewed the whole thing, twas a fun read. weldone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had fun reading your blog.I agree with you also that blogging is a relationship.If we keep that in mind,our blogging will remain honest and inspiring! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, this is a very nice review of the event. Thanks a lot for your honest and thorough insight. I really enjoyed reading through the post.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol...late Comer :p

    I'm messing with you. It was nice meeting you, this is such a different review...Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ijenna,

    I really. really, really enjoyed reading your review. You wrote it very beautifully and with the sort of sincerity that I always appreciate.

    I agree with you, " If you don't have an audience, you might as well be keeping an online diary". It's one thing to write a great post, it's another thing to find people who consider it engaging enough to be worth reading.

    Enjoy the rest of the week dear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three "really's"!!! :D Thank you so much Nedoux. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week too!

      Delete
  10. Looove this review and lessons learnt!
    Berry, Tuke and Cassie did an awesome thing with this event..taking blogging into a live meet up! Wowzers!

    And I love your rings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The event was a success. I think they did a very good job too.

      Delete
  11. Does the very tall girl happen to be Cassie Ikegbune because she once stated she's 6ft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the best function room in the city. The food they served at LA venues was warm, fresh and tasty, and the panoramic window is a sight to behold on a clear day. Their main hall was similar to a club/lounge – however, it had more of an intimate feel.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram