5 Photography Lessons I Have Learnt So far

07:25

Dear Photography Enthusiast,

My interest in photography started last year. I really don't know how it happened but I've always seen photography as an art. I guess on the things that fascinates me is the capturing of moments. Once you capture a moment, it's gone forever. That moment will never exist again so it has literally been immortalized. I like inanimate objects and most of all, nature.




I guess my obsession with capturing natures precious moments began when I would look at a scenery and be so fascinated and awed and people just wouldn't see it. So I began to capture those moments and people would see what I saw and be equally awed.

I haven't been doing this long but there are five things I have learnt through taking pictures.

Many photographers could take pictures of one subject and the pictures wouldn't look alike.


I've found this to be very true. It's the same with all forms of art be it fashion, food, sculpting, fine art and so on. In that, every one has their way of looking at a subject.

Find your signature style


Like I said, everyone has their own way of looking at a subject so take the picture as you see the subject. Observe and note the things you'd like to highlight, the things that speak to you. Copying another person's style wouldn't do you any good. It might not be the best you could do. Be true to yourself.

Explore all angles


This goes without saying. Explore ALL angles- up, down, side, right, left, until you find that perfect composition that you feel looks best. While taking the pictures, no angle might speak to you but while processing you'd have a lot of options and might eventually see in one picture what you didn't before.

Over editing spoils a picture


An edited picture is supposed to look unedited unless it's a surreal picture in which case it's obvious- The sky can't possibly be on the floor and an adult can not sit on a cat. People tell me my pictures look unedited. That's how it's supposed to be. When editing, you should be making the picture quality better and/or designing the picture. Not over saturating and so on.

Experiment, break all the rules


There are so many photography rules. Don't do this, don't do that. Break all of them. If you stick to rules, how is your creative side supposed to show and produce interesting pictures? I recommend following the rules and once you have good solid pictures, try to be more creative and have fun. 

Remember- Photography is an art.

So what do you think my friend? What has photography taught you so far? Have you learnt anything new lately? Was this post helpful? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear from you!
Yours sincerely,
Your ever faithful photography novice.

All pictures were taken with an android phone.




You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. All good tips! I wish I had a good camera so I could get into photography again. Maybe some day!

    Breakfast at Gracey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You could use your phone for starters. Phone cameras these days can take amazing pictures too.

      Delete
  2. Great and practical advice, lovely photos indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, I have just started taking more photos of my surroundings and I must say I have found it fun to look at them later and notice things that I hadn't noticed while taking the photo. Your photos look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I also noticed details i didn't quite notice before.

      Delete
  4. Nice tips. Especially the over editing tip.x
    www.deemako.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's my biggest lesson actually. Over editing takes away the beauty of the picture.

      Delete
  5. Hello, please tell me the style of photography. I like the photos in such styles. And what about exposure parameters needed (well, if you know it) for them. And what about such http://besthdrsoftwaremac.com/hdr-software/ software,can it help?? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Instagram